Monday, September 1, 2014

Fishing in Northern Utah

I spent the week in Park City looking for an adventure. My goal was to fish all of the major standing waters in the Uinta Mountains. I've never had much luck with a spinning rod, so I took up the sport of fly-fishing. JANS offers a free casting clinic at Deer Valley Resort. They helped me learn how to cast correctly and gave me some general fly-fishing tips.











Strawberry Reservoir
I woke up early with anticipation to fish Strawberry as it is known as an anglers paradise. It is a beautiful body of water, without question, but the surrounding region is not well maintained. The first thing I noticed, aside from the ginormous pot-holes, was that anglers were spread every 60 feet. It was standing room only. After an hour of no success with flies or power bait, many motorized boats came to ruin the fun. I give Strawberry a 3 out of 5. It is overrated, but the fishing was free.










Deer Creek Reservoir
I heard some tall tales about Deer Creek Reservoir, so I was eager to test my new found skills against the potential trout this legendary water had to offer. I had to pay $10 to get in, which was a rip off compared to the other reservoirs and parks in Utah. When I got to the shore I noticed it was extremely shallow for about 15 feet, and I don't have any waders. I walked a mile to find deeper water. It took an hour to get a few bites with my flies, but I wasn't fast enough. No bites for the power bait or other lures. There were a ton of motorized boats which absolutely killed the experience. For every 40 feet, there was a boat. They were loud, making waves, and ruining the fishing. I will never fish here again. 1 out of 5.












Rockport Lake
I had never heard of Rockport Lake before this adventure, but was eager to get acquainted. It was a cloudy day, with some threatening storms nearby. I had a narrow window of fishing time.  I paid a $3 fee, which I could have avoided if I were a shady character, but it was totally worth it. Rockport Lake is beautiful, and the fishing was tremendous! I caught trout after trout (browns) with my fly rod. I got a few bites with some lures and power bait, but they were mostly into flies. The storm rushed in after an hour, but it was a fun experience. 5 out of 5.

East Canyon Reservoir

I had been here a few years prior to this posting, and hadn't had any luck. I noticed upon my return that the reservoir had shrunk in half. I heard rumors that the fish were hooked on yellow power bait, and some anglers in the area were having a moderate amount of success with power bait. I hiked a mile to some boulders where I believed the fish were hiding. I was right. I caught a lot of small brown trout with my fly rod. They kept biting my power bait and lures as well, but I wasn't quick enough and didn't have any treble hooks on hand. I was surprised at my success. 4 out of 5. You will have to do some hiking to get to the shore. It was a great deal of fun.

















Echo Reservoir
When I got to the reservoir, it was completely void of life. I saw no anglers, nor did I see anyone near the water. The water level had shrunk in half, and there were no good access points to the shore. I hiked a few miles only to discover an incredibly shallow and muddy shoreline. The fishing was not just terrible, I honestly believe the fish had left that water. A severe storm came in, without much warning, so I had to escape rather quickly. I'll never waste my time here again. 0 out of 5.











Jordanelle Reservoir
This reservoir had also reduced in size due to the drought. I had to walk two miles to get to a very rough shoreline. It was muddy and shallow, but in better condition than Echo. The fee was $7. I had absolutely no luck on the main body of water, so I moved down to where the river was feeding the reservoir. They have a beautiful area specifically for anglers. It includes a fish cleaning station and a bunch of grills. I fished the river with my fly-rod for about an hour. I had three bites, but wasn't quick enough to get the hook in. I'd probably come back in a year and see if things have improved. 3 out of 5.














Little Dell Reservoir
I fished here twice during this trip. During my second visit, I was forced to pay a $5 fee, which I refused and promptly turned my vehicle around only to park a quarter mile away and trespass into the reservoir. Little Dell Reservoir is beautiful, but I didn't have any luck at all fishing it. I fished near the river and in several spots around the shore. I think it needs to be restocked. I would love to come back and pay the $5 if they do restock it. It has stunning scenery and a great walking trail. 3 out of 5.

0 comments: