Friday, March 1, 2019

January Car Accident

It was late January, and I had a craving for a snack and a movie. According to Redbox, Ant-Man and the Wasp was available. It was around 7:30 on a chilly night, and I went to the local Fresh Market. I got a few snacks, but the movie wasn't available at that location. That was kind of a bummer, but my wife and I would watch it at a later date with disappointment. On my way home, with few cars on the road, I approached an intersection and noticed (as I entered) out of the corner of my eye that a car was approaching at a high rate of speed. They had a red light, and I knew they weren't going to stop.

I placed both hands firmly on the wheel and screamed as loud as I could as I knew it was going to hurt. I drove a Toyota Rav4 at the time, and those things don't go very fast at all. I hit the gas pedal to attempt a last-second miss, but the other car hit me with force. My car spun around, and ended up on the side of the opposite lane. I called 911, and then my wife. I was rattled, and a bit angry.

That intersection sucks. If someone is going to run their respective light, you won't know it until it's too late. We found out that the guy that hit me was an 18 year old with a learners permit and no supervision. He was cited, as that's illegal in this State. I would later win the insurance case whereas he would have to pay my deductible. Both cars were totaled. I was already out a lot of money that I spent on that car a few weeks earlier, so having it declared as a complete loss made me unhappy. If my information is correct, he won't be able to get his license until he's 21 and no respectable insurance company will insure him. If he does find insurance, it will be at an astronomical rate. He was clearly not paying attention, and is lucky to be alive. He received a laceration on his head (from hitting the windshield). Had he not collided with me, I believe he would have died... as not too much further was a solid guard-rail (and cliff) that offered no forgiveness. I am now very hesitant when I approach intersections.

The picture does not do it justice. Frame damage on my rear-passenger side.

I'll miss my Rav4. I had a lot of special memories with it. It was slow, but it kept me safe and moving in the worst of weather.

0 comments: